Sunday, November 30, 2008

I Stand All Amazed

The past couple weeks I've had to prepare for several interviews for doctor of pharmacy programs. There's a list of potential questions I was given to help me prepare. One of these questions was: What are some of your strengths? I was actually asked that question during my interview at East Tennessee State University, and I think my answer was excellent. My answer was that one of my greatest of strengths lays in the fact that I'm quick to identify a problem (specifically within myself) and do everything I can to fix that problem. About a month ago I identified such a problem. I wasn't feeling spiritual enough, and for me that's a big problem. The gospel, like many things in life, is one of those things where if your not progressing your typically digressing. Perhaps it wasn't a dire situation, but it was a situation that needed to be fixed nonetheless. In addition to reading my scriptures with greater frequency and spending more time on personal prayer, I went on a music fast of sorts. No radio and no cds. I listened solely to conference recordings, Mormon Tabernacle Choir or other music that would be considered "Sunday music." I've finished about a month of that, and I find myself with little desire to resort back to the radio. Instead of having a random song stuck in my head I'd have a random hymn stuck in there. Whenever a problem would arise a hymn would come to mind and it would put me at ease. The effects were amazing. If nothing else, it brought me closer to Heavenly Father and helped me to remember Him with much greater frequency. I highly encourage others to try this music fast.

1 comment:

Sarah McM said...

This sounds like a great story to share at a youth fireside. I'll steal it someday and pretend it was me. :-)