Thursday, December 4, 2008

Rocky Balboa

A movie has to be pretty good for a sequel to be considered, let alone to be made. The sequel often times has to be even better than the original for a 3rd movie to be made. That's why there are so few trilogies out there. Despite all that, there are 6 "Rocky" movies! Rocky VI was released in 2006... 16 years after Rocky V. What attributed to its success? Why did Rocky, a fictional character, become as iconic an America staple as.... Apple Pie? I think it has to do with the fact that Rocky, like all of us, take punches. While Rocky's beatings were far more literal than ours ever are it doesn't remove the fact that sometimes we get beat up as we go through life. What makes Rocky Rocky is that after he takes his beatings from opponents that are often times bigger and stronger than he is... he carries on, often times stronger and more determined than at any other point in the movie. That's why we cheer for Rocky, because ultimately we want to be like him. Maybe not in the sense that we want to hop in the ring against an Apollo Creed, rather we want to be able to take life's punches and come out of it stronger and more determined to accomplish our own goals.

I've found myself in various "life beatings" throughout the years. Some have been more difficult than others. Some have taught me more than others. More often than not, greater lessons are learned from the more severe "beatings." At the present I find myself in the middle of one such beating. I know that when it's over I'll come out of the ring a better person, but knowing that doesn't take all the pain away. But like Rocky, and as I've always done, I'll take the punches... and after I've taken my hits I'll carry on more determined and more focused than before. In short, I'll be a better... more complete Adam. Those that put their money on Rocky made out pretty big, so too would anyone willing to put their money on me!

No comments: