Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Anticipating Summer

The warming weather with the end of the semester in sight can mean only one thing: summer is near. I can't stand the cold. I often wear nothing more than jeans and a short sleeve t-shirt during the winter. Mostly because that's what I'm comfortable with, but also to spite the cold. With summer comes long motorcycle rides, hitting up Provo's many pools and enjoying the freedom that inevitably coincides with the season. Yet, summer's freedom can begin to bother me. Sure, the freedom is great for the first few weeks but I can't help but feel that I'm wasting time by not progressing. It's this feeling that's had me in summer school full time since I began college. This summer will be no different. I'm undecided so far as to the specific classes I'll be taking, but it's looking like it will entail Organic Chemistry II and Cell Biology. Both beastly classes. I'll also be studying for the Pharmacy College Admissions Test (PCAT). To be perfectly honest, I'm a little bit anxious to start summer school. Not because I don't enjoy freedom. No, I enjoy freedom as much as the next person. I'm anxious because I can finally start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. While still a faint light that requires the eyes to focus to be able to pick up, I'm excited nonetheless. In reality I still have a full year of undergraduate work ahead of me plus anywhere from 3 to 5 years on top of that depending if I decide to get my MBA alongside my doctorate. Either way I'll have student loans that will rival most mortgages.
As hard as last summer was, I had a blast. Microbiology was one of the funnest classes I've ever taken. How many classes can you take where bringing your poo into class is a requirement? I found myself being a little disappointed when we were instructed to skip a few chapters due to time constraints. I really felt like I was missing out on something by skipping those chapters. I believe 4 people out of 40 ended up getting A's and I was one of them. I spent 30 hours a week studying for just that class, but I was sad when it ended. This current semester hasn't really challenged me. I rarely to go to any of my classes anymore, and yet the lowest grade in any of my classes is a 94%. This summer will definitely be a challenge.
Aside from school I'm excited to go on the trips that always seem to pop up during summer. I plan on learning to wakeboard this summer. I wouldn't mind going skydiving again, but the last time I went wasn't that big of a rush for me. A bit of a letdown actually. Maybe hit up Zions. Who knows. Trips like that are usually more sporadic than planned so we'll see what happens. Either way, I'm excited for summer!

No comments: