Saturday, February 21, 2009

My continued struggle for motivation

Coming into this week I had three tests that I would need to tackle. The first was my Vascular Plant Taxonomy Test. I hadn’t been to that particular class in some two weeks and hadn’t taken a single note in even longer. I wasn’t able to adequately motivate myself to study for it until the morning before. Even so, I think I did pretty well on it. Next was my physiology class. Again, my lack of motivation as of late had me desiring a few more hours of sleep rather than make myself go to class. It had also been about 2 weeks since I had last been, and I had missed all the material that would be covered on the test. This class means absolutely nothing to me. I took it more for fun than for any other reason. It was rather tempting going in there and taking the test without studying at all for it, but I decided I paid for the class so I might as well put a small amount of effort into it. I ended up with an 80%. I continue studying for my calculus test tonight and I will be taking it on Monday. As long as I get an 80% or above on that one I will be quite satisfied… seeing as I’ve missed the past week of those lectures as well. I’m going to make a much more concerted effort to go to all my classes. Yes, this in indeed my last semester here and I want to have fun, but I also want to make sure I learn something in the process. Aside from that, I think I’m too competitive to allow my grades to slip too much.

This week had some random occurrences as well. I hadn’t seen a certain friend of mine in a little over two months. I had just gotten to school and needed to get some studying in. I don’t all together like studying by myself so I called several of my friends to see if they were studying. They weren’t. I then thought it best to play around on the computers for a little bit. All the computers downstairs were full so I headed towards the “secret” computer lab on the second floor. Just as I was about to enter the stairwell I noticed my friend heading in my direction. I found myself heading up the stairwell trying to avoid recognition. I left the stairwell and turned to the lab. After a few feet I could tell those labs were full too. Just as I turned around the stairwell the door flew open. It was my friend. We ended up talking momentarily and then found a room to study together. Although I initially dreaded the contact, I left with a rather big smile on my face.

I finished the book I had been reading this week, Broken Things to Mend, and bought two more. I’m pretty excited to get started on those. Truman G. Madsen is one of my favorite LDS authors.

A couple of my friends and I got together this week and started making plans for Spring Break. I’m leaving for Tennessee in August, Cody is leaving for Oklahoma in June and Houston is leaving for Texas in July so this will be our last little oorah outside of a few rounds of golf we’ll get in after the semester. What we’ve managed to plan so far is reason for excitement: a backpacking trip in Bryce Canyon! I haven’t been on an actual backpacking trip since I was a scout! Easily 10 years ago or more. The trail is called Under the Rim and it’s about 26 miles or so. There’s still a lot of planning to be had, but the few pictures that we found on the internet were amazing. I’ve always been the type to be inspired by majestic scenery, and I think this place will offer the majesty so required for inspiration. If you can’t tell, I’m excited.

No comments: