Saturday, February 28, 2009

Super Exciting!

So I've been reviewing my finances in preparation for pharmacy school. One route I can choose to go is just taking out student loans and focus on school. The road would lead me to about $170,000 in debt. That's not something I'm super excited to start. I have, however, been looking at another option: The military! I was so excited when I finished up my 8 years of service last summer and it pretty much went without saying that I'd never consider going back in. After running the numbers though, I think I'd be foolish to not go back in. So here are the numbers. After my second year of pharmacy school (assuming I get accepted into the military health program) I would receive approximately $84,000 over the last two years of schooling based on my current Time in Service (8 years). This would enable me go to school and live rather comfortably without loans (saving me tons!). Those last two school years count towards my time in service, bringing the running count to 10 years (at 20 years you can retire). For the next three years I would be a practicing pharmacist in the military making $64,000/ year. Doesn't sound too great, except for the fact that I get basic housing allowance on top of that. This ranges depending on zip code, but a conservative estimate is $18,000 a year. This housing allowance is also tax free, bringing the yearly income to $82,000. I would be required to serve for 3 years, bringing my running time in service to 13 years. At this point I could choose to stay in or get out of the military. If I chose to stay I'd be 7 years away from retirement and at this point the government would probably be willing to pay off some, if not all, of my existing loans as an incentive to stay in. At 20 years time in service I would be approximately 41 years old. My retirement would be approximately $52,000/year (having contributed nothing) and I would still be able to work as a civilian pharmacist and easily make over $100,000/yr. So, including retirement that is about $152,000/ yr. Not to mention lifetime military benefits that save you a ton of money! So yeah... I'm pretty excited about the possible prospect of being able to retire in in 14 years!

1 comment:

Cameron and Erin said...

Don't Do It! It's all a scam! Really though, I thought about it too, but just couldn't force myself to join, great option when you already have some time in though.